Crafty Blogs

Friday 29 January 2010

Stained Glass Window Art


It's been a while since I posted my last tutorial project for fridge frames, so I thought I would offer up this project for a piece of colourful window art. This is a project which needs a laminator to create. I know not every home will have one of these, though the small basic ones are quite cheap these days, and I actually find them quite useful for a whole host of household purposes, ranging from protecting favourite recipes and knitting patterns, to creating notices and labels, and last but most definitely not least, for creative projects like this one.  My laminator is a Fellowes Saturn A4 model - not the cheapest, and not the most expensive, but I've been very happy with it.

Even small children can take part in this activity, as long as the actual laminating and cutting of the window mount is undertaken by an adult.

You will need…..

 
  • Laminator
  • Laminator pouches (thickness doesn’t really matter here)
  • Variety of coloured tissue paper
  • Scissors
  • Craft Knife
  • Ruler
  • Black card
  • Sticky Tape
Method

1. Cut or tear a variety of small pieces of tissue paper.

2. Open the laminator pouch, and carefully arrange the pieces of tissue paper on the plastic. It doesn’t matter if they overlap, since this just creates a more interesting result as the colours mix together. Try as far as possible, to make sure that the paper doesn’t spill over the edges of the pouch. Don’t be too precise about where the tissue is placed, as it tends to move a bit when you place it in the laminator anyway!


3. Carefully close the pouch over the tissue paper.

4. Heat the laminator up - if there is more than one setting, make sure you use the correct one for the thickness of plastic that you are using.

5. Carefully holding the edges of the closed pouch, feed it into the machine - sometimes it helps if you support it on a piece of card the same size as the pouch, sliding it off the card and into the laminator.


6. Take a piece of black card, the same size or larger than the your laminated sheet. Using a craft knife and ruler, cut a window slightly smaller than the laminated sheet.  Obviously this would have to be done by an adult.


7. Use the sticky tape to attach your laminated sheet to the reverse of the frame.


8. The framed sheet can then be blu-tacked to a window to display the full effect.

3 comments:

  1. this is beautiful - we will be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could it be done with sticky back plastic? I will give it a go as I don't have a laminator but I do have loads of old tissue paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure - I did wonder that myself, but you could certainly give it a try. Let me know if you have any success with it!

    ReplyDelete