Crafty Blogs

Monday 4 January 2010

Creative ways to recycle Christmas Cards

The easiest way to recycle your old Christmas Cards is to take them all down to the nearest recycling point, but there are much more creative ways of recycling them.  Here are a few suggestions:

Cut them along the fold, and use the blank side of each for shopping lists, notes etc. (This is something which my parents always did, and I have adopted the same habit!)

Use the pictures to make gift tags for next year, using decorative cutting scissors to create an attractive edge (again, this is a simple idea that has been around for years, saves money, and takes minimal effort).

Cut up the pictures themselves, and cut out individual motifs and messages to make next year's Christmas cards and gift tags.  This is a little bit more creative, and involves more effort than the one above, but will result in something that is unique, and less obviously recycled from last year's cards.  If you use sticky foam pads or glue dots to stick on the individual elements, it creates an attractive 3D effect which you see on lots of the handmade cards in the shops, and is really simple to do.



Cut out individual characters from the cards (e.g. snowmen, santa, reindeer, robins etc.) and attach them onto the top of a lolly stick with sticky tape to make a simple stick puppet.  If you want to go the whole hog, you could also cut out elements of scenery (trees, houses etc.) from the cards too.  Alternatively you can use these elements to create your own Christmas scene on dark coloured card, and paint on a simple snow background.



Cut up the picture to make a simple Christmas jigsaw.

Cut the picture up into small pieces, (either squares or more random shapes) and use to make mosaic patterns, or collages, as shown here (don't ask about the empty raisin boxes - they wanted to stick them on, so who am I to interfere with their creative innovations?)



The links below give some more ideas:


Let me know if you have any other creative ways of using old Christmas cards!

13 comments:

  1. Taking down our xmas cards was next on my list to do today so this is very timely! I think shopping list cards is what I shall opt for as I'm not very good at saving things for almost 12 months time - space is too much of a premium in this home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already saved the fronts for next year!!!

    The back have been made in to paper planes etc over the last couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh cool ideas (I tend to keep the cards from family that are important to me but I am going to start taking photos of them instead as they take up less storage space!) and so I need some ideas of what to do with the old ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mosaic idea. I have a box of received cards I was just going to throw out but you've inspired me to keep them. Another thing I do is buy plain gift bags or boxes and stick a whole, beautiful card on the front, right in the centre. They make lovely, unique bags or boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great ideas. I do the tags with pinking shears for next year's presents but I really like the stick puppet idea - my 2 year old would love that. I was going to take them to Smith for the Woodland Trust but I might save a few that will suit. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of using the blank side for notes, shopping lists etc, would never have thought of that one. Thanks for the great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas - I already use for shopping lists (I had a thrifty war time Mum!) but will use pinking scissors and make tags! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments and ideas everyone, and I'd just like to take the opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for contributing this to the carnival at the Rubbish Diet. I love the cards. The carnival is now up at http://therubbishdiet.blogspot.com/2010/01/winter-carnival-wrapping-up-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your mosaics - thanks for sharing the photos and the lovely ideas!

    warm wishes
    Rae (mrs green @myzerowaste.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blimey woman, slow down! I was feeling relatively smug that I had even managed to take my cards down and remove the fronts. Now I feel like an abject failure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't worry, I feel like that all the time when looking at other people's blogs - you should see the state of our house at the moment - after all, something has to give!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ideas. I will definitely be adopting all these.
    I never like throwing away cards that people have spent their time and money on. Now they can be put to good use. Thanks

    ReplyDelete